Monday, April 25, 2011

Thoughts of home


     I am sitting.  Sitting and waiting for my cup of tea to steep.  There are just days when I can't help but wonder,  "Why oh why do I live in Montana."  I try to love it here, really I do.  I admit to loving certain things about being here.  We've only to look out our windows to see incredibly beautiful, snow covered mountains. When the weather is nice in Montana, it is truly hard to beat.  There is nothing quite like a nice Montana summer day.  The difficulty for me is how few and far in between those nice days are.  *sigh*
     Recently returned home from an extended visit to South Texas, I realize that I am still a Texas girl at heart.  No matter how long I live in the Northwest, I love the lush green of the South.  Even the air is different--moist, heavy, and redolent of decaying greenery.  The live oaks are breathtaking, speaking to me of history and days gone by.  Wildflowers bloom all along the highways in the springtime...bluebonnets, Indian paintbrushes, buttercups.  Lovely fields of color all around.
     Life slows down when I get to my parent's house.  I am reminded of the preciousness of family and of the void in my life in Montana.  My kids love it there.  It's a place where they are loved completely and without conditions.  Family BBQ's and dinners are full of amazing home cookin'.  (After all, it's not a true Texas experience without BBQ, beans and cornbread and copious amounts of pie.)  Our family gatherings are loud and boisterous, full of laughter, stories, jokes and sometimes tears.
     So yes, I am still a Southern girl.  It is still home to me.  Maybe someday...

4 comments:

  1. I was on the same extended stay. All is true. I already miss the food! Miss you and your sweet girls and boy (who, by the way, shot a gator while in TX). You go Mr. S.

    Www.shannonchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in Columbus, Ga now... I have to say that I love it here. The people have a different way about them. Life isn't as hurried and everyone says hello. I didn't know I was a Southern girl till I got here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I hope all is well with you and your sweet girls. I did see pictures of Shelby's gator. That boy...:)

    Alison, thanks for reading. I love your blog. Congratulations on getting back into your jeans, :-). I gained 4 pounds during the 4 weeks I was in Texas. Yikes! It was probably a good thing I came home, ha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopkinsthecat...I just moved to Columbus Ga...my husband was raised here. Check out my blog at www.shannonchic.com.....small world.

    ReplyDelete