Sunday, September 30, 2012

Desires of Your Heart



My kids are growing up and are becoming such beautiful, amazing young adults.  They are beginning to discover who they are, what they are passionate about, and what paths they may choose to take as they get older.  It is a lovely thing to watch.  Jay and I are proud of our munchkins, believing that they've turned out wonderfully--in spite of having the two of us for parents!  We are completely imperfect parents, but we have a God who loves our kids even more than we do and for that, we are so very, very grateful.



As I was looking at that cute little Christmas photo, I noticed Kyra holding her doll.  Since Kyra was a tiny, little girl she has loved the people of Africa.  Jay and I know that this is a passion that God has written on her heart since the day He formed her, a desire of her heart that comes from the Father.  Every baby doll she chose was black.  She would draw pictures of our family and she would color her skin black.  :)  We thought it was rather funny, but we could also see that she has a real connection to Africa. The time she spent last year helping in a Filipino orphanage confirmed her longing.  Her heart is beautiful, loving, compassionate...aching for those in poverty, for the orphans, for the homeless.  Her recent decision to become a lay midwife is wrapped up in her passion to love and serve those who have so little. She knows the desires of her heart and is trusting God to be the lamp to light her path. I am humbled, touched, and so proud to be her mama.  

The past couple of years have been a time of rediscovering myself.  Being so young when we started our family, I spent my 20's and 30's raising kids.  My passions and interests are no longer the same as they were before I had kids, so I've had to look inward and figure out what I want my life to be when my kids are moving on in their lives.  It is simultaneously intimidating and exciting.  Many, many times I have prayed this scripture over my own life and the lives of my family. 

         "Delight yourself also in the LORD; and he shall give you the desires of your heart."

My prayer on this and every single day is that the desires of our hearts come from Him.  As He places them there, step out in faith. He will never leave or forsake you.  Trust Him with your heart.  He loves you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment