Monday, March 25, 2013

Take Heart--They are Listening!

To all of you out there raising kids, I'd like to offer some words of encouragement. As the mom of three teenagers, I've spent years doling out advice, suggestions and, yes, commands. There have been times when my words were met with eye rolls or a glazed expression that made me think that what they were hearing was, "Blah, blah, blah, blah." However, like all parents, I persevered and continued to dole it out.  It's just what we do.  I know you can relate. I know there are times when you feel like quitting, like they are never going to listen. I'm here to tell you that they do listen.  They do hear and believe it or not, they even believe you--mostly.

If you know me or have read other posts on here, you know that I believe in eating good, real food. Well, my kids have heard every possible health lecture there could be. Really, they have. They've heard it all.  I just never thought they were listening or that they gave a hoot.  Guess what?  They do give a hoot! I've noticed them making good food choices, especially as they get older and start to figure out that eating junk makes you feel like junk.

My 19 year old son just started a new job and has been traveling for the past couple of weeks. During the first week, he told me he was eating mostly "bar food" which isn't too surprising. When he got home last night from his second week of travel, he proudly showed me some of the foodstuffs he'd bought while he was away. He did quite well. He also informed me that eating restaurant food was grossing him out and making him feel less than stellar so he had been eating lots of salads and had even sought out and found the local natural foods market. I am a proud mama.  Love that boy.
These are the purchases he was so proud to show me. 
 So in the interest of full disclosure, I also want to add that he bought this to go with his organic tortilla chips...


 The good news here is that he knows this is NOT a healthy choice. Being me and all, I had him read the label and explained to him why yellow no5 and corn/canola oil are not good health choices. Of course, he ate it anyway, but I am confident that he is taking in the information I give him. 

So take heart all you mamas out there trying to get your kids to eat good food...they hear what you are saying and even though every choice won't be perfect, they know what's best.  You are teaching them well. Keep on  keepin' on.

No comments:

Post a Comment