Thursday, August 15, 2013

Conviction

A couple of years ago, as I was practically jogging through Target to get to the toilet paper aisle--feeling overwhelmed, tired and too busy--I was stopped by a book.  Transfixed from page one, I stood in the aisle at Target and read this book from cover to cover...Night by Elie Wiesel.  Beautiful, haunting, convicting, powerful, so very very sad.

This morning I once again find myself convicted by Elie's words...

"I swore to never be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation.  We must always take sides.  Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

There are passions in my heart for the oppressed. Those passions may be for different causes than yours, but they all matter. I am convicted today to get out of my little world, to look beyond the difficulties in my own life as of late, to do my best to see. Open the eyes of my heart, Lord. Help me to see, to be unafraid, and then, to do.






No comments:

Post a Comment