Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Make Your Own

There are about a gazillion recipes out there that use condensed soups.  Really, a gazillion.  Just look on Pinterest. :)  Have you ever looked at the ingredients on a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken?  Yikes!  All kinds of nasty.  Although I try to avoid condensed soups, chicken broccoli casserole is one of Shelby's favorites, so I do occasionally use them. To avoid all of the ingredient nastiness in the canned version, I tried out lots of recipes and came up with a version of cream of chicken soup that I think is pretty darn good. I don't measure, so I will try to give you approximations.  Just adjust to whatever tastes good to you.


Cream of Chicken Soup (substitute for Campbell's condensed soup)

In a saucepan:
1-2 cups of chicken stock, diced onion (about 1/4 cup or so), diced garlic (couple of cloves), seasonings*

*seasonings--salt and pepper, little bit of paprika, chopped fresh herbs like parsley/rosemary/oregano/sage/marjoram/thyme (use dried if that's what you have)

Simmer until the onions are nice and soft and rather translucent.
Add some milk and simmer a bit more.

In a separate bowl:

Whisk together milk and flour until smooth.  (This is to thicken the soup, so I would maybe do around a cup of milk and a few tablespoons of flour.)

Add to the stock and whisk it so there aren't any lumps.  It should thicken nicely.  
Taste it and add salt and pepper, if needed.

*If you don't have poultry seasoning, just mix together equal amounts of rosemary, oregano, sage, ginger, marjoram, thyme.  Put in a glass jar for whenever a recipe calls for it. 
*If you use something like Better than Bouillon, you could add a bit of that, too, if it seems like it needs a little more flavor. Never heard of Better than Bouillon? Look here

*For a gluten free version, you can use cornstarch to thicken.



FYI…Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup ingredient list…
Ingredients (29):










3 comments:

  1. "Chicken Mechanically Separated" YUM! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been making my own since we went gluten free. It is easier, tastier, and a little bit healthier. I always end up with a little butter in there too, because, you know, it is butter. I do my own cream of mushroom with vegetable stock and one with beef stock too.

    ReplyDelete