Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Healthier Life...On a Budget

I am asked quite often how we can afford to feed our family a healthy diet full of organic veggies, fruits and meats.  Over and over I have people telling me some version of this, "We would eat healthy food, but we just can't afford it."  In fact, I've heard it so many times that I've lost count, prompting me to decide to craft a few blog posts about making healthy, inexpensive changes to diet and lifestyle.
 
Having parents who had raised me to know about things like using food as medicine or the benefits of alternative therapies, I feel blessed to have had a head start and a knowledge base that I might not have otherwise. My parents were "organic and crunchy" before it was hip to be so. We had chickens, a garden, and homemade everything...even mayo. Even now, I'll tell my mom something I learned or decided to try making and she'll say to me, "Oh yes, sweetie, I used to make that when y'all were little."  She's a wonderful resource. I am very, very grateful to always have the support of my parents when I am trying to give my family a healthier way of life. They believed in me through 3 pregnancies, home births, homemade baby food, battles with pediatricians over vaccinations and antibiotics, and treating sick kids with herbs and homeopathy. Love and thanks to you, Beebo and Pappa, for raising me to think outside the box!

So for all of you who have emailed me, commented on posts or messaged me on Facebook, I will write a few posts to try to help and encourage those of you who truly think there is no way you can afford to change the way you eat and live.  You can do it...I promise!

“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.”  ~Jim Rohn

No comments:

Post a Comment