Friday, September 13, 2013

Treasure

One of my best friends just found out she is pregnant with twins and is now so sick she can't get off the couch.  She already has 2 little ones to care for. Oh how I remember those days.  When I had my Maddy, Shelby was only 4 years old, Kyra merely 2. ( My goodness--what were we thinking???  Obviously, thinking wasn't at the top of our priority list. ;) ) Definitely a crazy few years.  I recall not being able to get off the couch myself when I was pregnant with Maddy, and I have a very vivid memory of these 2 tiny faces staring at me as I was lying there trying not to lose my lunch.
Shelby looked at me, shook his little head and said, "Mommy, are you EVER going to get off the couch?"  To which I replied, after I had started sobbing, "Nooooo, I don't think so!"
Oh for Pete's sake.
Thankfully, we survived. Maddy was born, and now my cute little munchkins are so grown up.

To all of you who are parenting little ones, navigating your way through pregnancies and piles of diapers--hang in there. These days, full of things that seem so never ending and exhausting, are fleeting.   There are many things I wish I'd done differently, you'll someday feel the same.  While it would be nice if each kid popped out with his/her own manual, this isn't how it goes and so we will all make mistakes. It's life.

Here are a few things I've learned over the years...

~Hug your kids...a lot!  Hug them, kiss them, squeeze them tightly.  Stop whatever you are doing and take time to let them sit in your lap. Tell them you love them, even if they they roll their eyes and say, "I know, Mom. Geez!"





~Let them be goofy.


 


~And be goofy with them.
 



 ~Let them sleep outside on the trampoline...making a big mess with every single blanket, pillow and sleeping bag you own. When you hear them at 2am, running around the backyard, just be thankful and try to go back to sleep.


~Let them play outside and get dirty.  After that...let them bring home bugs and sticks and rocks and dandelions. When they offer you the gift of a gravel rock that they painted, accept it with a smile.



~Let them paint the graffiti on the wall, play dress up, and make a mess baking cupcakes.




~Love them enough to let them go through the tough things, and be thankful for every single day that you are blessed to be with them. 

~Play ball, build a snowman, cherish the laughter, and play in the yard.


      






~Coach that team.



~Love every handmade birthday card and Christmas gift. Put those sweet little drawings and paintings on the fridge.


~Love them for who they are, each so different from the other, with special talents and gifts.







~Laugh.  Laugh.  Laugh.












No comments:

Post a Comment