Thursday, September 26, 2013

When Life Gives You Brown Bananas

One of the 5,214,697 ways that South Texas differs from Montana is the rate at which fruit ripens as it sits in my fruit bowl. I find myself with many, many overripe, brown bananas. I don't think we've made it through an entire bunch yet without at least a couple of them ending up in the freezer.  What to do with a bunch of brown bananas???  Make banana bread, of course!

For all of you who may actually be experiencing fall temperatures (it was in the 90's in Houston today) and for my Montana friends who are under a winter storm warning, here is our family's favorite banana bread recipe.  Happy Baking!!!!

Banana Nut Bread

Cream together:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar (I usually add less than this.)

Blend in:
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups mashed banana

Mix in separate bowl:
2 cups flour
1 heaping tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

Add flour mixture to banana mixture alternately with 1/2 cup buttermilk.
Optional: 1 cup chopped pecans

Bake in 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
325 degrees for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hrs.


No comments:

Post a Comment