Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Psalm 46

     This morning I read about the flooding in Memphis then, with images in my head of people's homes being submerged and all of their earthly possessions being washed away, I climbed onto my bed with my Bible and my journal.
     With so many natural disasters happening, not to mention the man-made disasters of war, killing and oppression occurring even as we speak, with all of the proclamations about the end of the world and judgement day, well...let's just say it is easy to be discouraged, to give in to fear and uncertainty. As I was talking to God about fear and tragedy, a piece of paper fell out of my Bible that had Psalm 46 written on it so I decided to look it up.


Psalm 46

 1 God is our refuge and strength,
         A very present help in trouble.
 2 Therefore we will not fear,
         Even though the earth be removed, 
         And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
 3 Though its waters roar and be troubled,
         Though the mountains shake with its swelling.  Selah  

      
  He is not just our help in times of trouble, but our very present help.  We live in a crazy, messed up world but I know I don't have to walk alone through the mess.  I am reminded today of God's promise to Abraham, "Do not be afraid, Abram.  I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward."  He is my refuge, my strength and my exceedingly great reward.  I will not fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment